It's not quite a 3/4 ton,but the Tundra's compare pretty closely to a 3/4 ton gas truck. The frames are heavier, they come with either 4.30 or 3.90 gears compared to 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73 in most 1/2 tons. With that gearing no wonder they get poor fuel mileage You're looking at about 2 mpg worse than Ford/Chevy/Dodge 1/2 tons. Over 100,000 miles you're looking at about $1,750 more in fuel costs figured at about $2.20/gal. How much more would you spend on repair bills in 100,000 miles driving something else? Toyota's don't need a lot of work to keep them running.

I've had a Tacoma for the last 10 years and been extremely pleased. But the truck has become too small for us and I was looking to buy a 1/2 ton last year at this time. I was looking at about the same years as you and looked hard for a Tundra. But an internet search everywhere between Chattanooga and Atlanta only turned up 5-6 Tundra's that came close to meeting my requirements and none at a price I wanted to pay. I found over 200 F-150's and several that I seriously considered before narrowing it to the one I bought.

The biggest thing that pushed me to Ford was the 36 gallon fuel tank. Tundra only started offering it as an option in 2014 I believe and I found none equipped so. I found that used Tundra's were more expensive, but I could have bought a new one for less than Ford. We decided we wanted to keep the Tacoma as a 3rd vehicle rather than trade it. I could have afforded to buy new if I were willing to let the Tacoma go. But it was just more valuable for us to keep it.

We also have a small Honda for commuting around town and short trips. It gets 35-40 mpg and saves wear and tear on the trucks when the truck isn't needed. I just bought 4 tires for the Honda and paid about 30%-40% of what it would cost for tires on the F-150.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.