I haven't really kept up on the Dodge since the engine electronics went to Chrysler in 2003 or so.
Obviously a good engine, EGR system will probably need to be dealt with one way or another.
What really decided me was a friends 2012 that has 40K on the odometer, and it rattled and wandered and the passenger floorboard had my feet cramped for space.

Of all the people that should have a Cummins engine in their truck, I don't, I bought a Tundra. I figure overall cost of ownership over 10 years the Tndra will be better, and I don't haul over 8K or so. Besides... I don't need a variable geometry turbo under my hood....
(Not sure what Year dodge/Ram went to VG)

Tundra is a completely stock Long bed double cab 4x4 with 38 gallon tank. I average 15.8 over the last 44,000 with @ 5% towing and the days to day I'm about 17,5 on a relatively flat hwy with a posted speed of 55 for 90 miles a day.

I did take a trip to ND last fall and only averaged 14.5 on the 70-80 MPH Hwys. Speed bucking wind and snow kills.

It does have a 4:30 rear end, but the tranny has a double overdrive in the top 2 gears.

Towed 2 loads of cows today, probably @ 7K of trailer, there is no lack of power at that weight.

"When a man with a pistol meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol is a dead man."