Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Actually, it seems at least as smart to buy the half priced truck w/only 1/4 or less of its mileage life on the odo, and i can't justify a $40k truck these days. Just different approaches.

That's assuming you could find a truck of that vintage with only 100k on the odo, more likely 150k so 1/3 the trucks life and also assuming you wouldn't have any expensive repairs for the remainging ~300k which is highly unlikely. Figure 2 front end rebuilds for $7k, transmission or clutch work $1-2k, misc $1k. Suddenly that $20k used truck with $10k in repairs isn't such a great deal. If you could get the truck for $10k, it would be a no brainer.

The smart move is buy the new truck for $40k, put 150k on the odo and sell it for $25k, then repeat.

This has been my approach and it has worked well. I like the idea of knowing the maintenance was done right and hopefully limiting the big repairs while I own it. The used market is always looking for well maintained diesel trucks and will pay a premium for them. The fist one off the lot stings, but it's nice when you sell and get 50% of a new one in cash.

Andy