Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
It's Toyota or a diesel for lifespan, in my mind.

I agree with you on this^^^.

I've got a 2016 Tundra and a 1999 dodge diesel. The dodge was my daily driver for years until diesel prices went through the roof. It's got 385K miles on it now and it mostly just gets used for pulling the gooseneck, it's 2WD so it's not that great for a hunting vehicle. It's been a fantastic vehicle and driving that cummins is just a joy, it gives you a woodie. The newer models are more powerful but at the expense of fuel mileage and complexity. The fuel mileage of the newer diesels is probably going to be about the same as the Tundra.

The tundra is great too, obviously much more refined but it's not the beast of a truck that the dodge diesel is. Some like to say the tundra is almost a 3/4 ton but it's not, it's a half ton. It's definitely less robust than a 3/4 or 1 ton from the others. It's stouter than other half tons on the market though.

My tundra averages about 15.5-16 mpg overall. My dodge diesel averages 20-21 but diesel fuel is 20 cents a gallon more. I also have a 2014 toyota camry that's my runabout car and it's what I drive 95% of the time, I don't use the trucks as daily drivers, the fuel cost is too much for my blood. Those claiming diesels are more expensive for routine maintenance are wrong, my experience is that they're essentially the same considering the diesel has a longer oil change interval.

When it came time for a new truck I went with the tundra instead of another diesel for a few reasons. The first is fuel costs, diesels now get about the same mileage as gassers and the fuel costs are more, the fuel cost savings is no longer there. Complexity is the second reason, the new emissions equipment is crazy complex and they're costly to fix nowadays. Initial price is the third reason, the diesels are crazy expensive now. All truck are expensive but they're asking insane prices for diesels, I just couldn't justify it.