Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Ok, forget killing the messenger for a moment... this is actually very interesting. As you can see by my .sig line this general topic interests me very much. Very much worth the read for those appalled at the current state of affairs in the realm of debating ideas. A taste:

"People on the left and right,” the study concludes, “are motivated to avoid hearing from the other side for some of the same reasons: the anticipation of cognitive dissonance and the undermining of a fundamental need for a shared reality with other people."

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/5/15/15585176/motivated-ignorance-politics-debate

Jeff: Take it from a guy who carries a rattle and wears a headdress. I'm a Conservative Republican, Life Member of the NRA and a good Methodist Boy(with strong Taoist leanings). Despite this I have known and counted as my friends pagans, hermaphrodites, ex-members of the SDS and a mercenary or two. I have a great uncle that flipped off Hitler and lived to tell about it. My father used to hang with Cab Calloway, Gene Shepard and Jackie Gleason. I have dated and bedded more radical female communists than I care to think about. I have had a gnosh with Robert Anton Wilson. As soon as I get off the plane and get to my rental car, I start surfing for strange and unusual radio stations. I live for cognitive dissonance and my family shows a genetic disposition for it. Take it from me: that article was hooey and the guy who posted it is obviously trolling.

Sorry. but if you keep this up, I am going to put my fingers in my ears and sing loudly.

No, I would not kill the messenger, but I might be tempted to put him on ignore.

A little bruising would probably be overlooked.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.