I use a Weatherby Mark X 257 Weatherby Magnum. 120 grain Nosler Partions or factory Federal Premiere 115 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft points. Wears a Swarovski 3-12 with 30mm main tube 50mm objective. That is my "light" gun. Taken everything from duiker to kudu with DRT 1 shot kills. I feel it is a perfect leopard gun. But, my all around plains game gun is my Winchester M70 Super Express in 375 H&H. Maybe not the ideal plains game rig but I shoot it well and love to use it in Africa. And quite often I am combo hunting that needs a versatile gun. 375 does it. Wears an old Red field 3-9 scope. As far as ammo goes, I have used all sorts of factory 270-300 grain loads. Plain Jane green box Remington Cor-lockt and Federal blue box as well. Used the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft point and Hornady fmj. I know,... Factory ammo on a safari?? I work sick crazy hours and quite often don't have the time to workup a nice hand load. At least work allows me to sqweek out a few safaris. No B.S. those Corlokts are good plains game bullets IN THE 375 H&H. I wouldn't use them in a smaller super magnum. Common cup and core seperation or very small weight retention. Shot gemsbok with a "Texas heart shot" and the 270 gr. Went the entire length of the bull. Mangled up in his neck! No lead at all. Just copper jacket. Same can be said for Federals Hi-Shok. Soft points. For $60 they are fine. For practice shooting I do a few of the bench, then stand and shoot with an African style 3 prong shooting stick. Few boozoos give me a stupid look. Everybody else knows-safari hunter..And I always do a bit of the Ol' Harris bipod as well. My 375 has Leopold QR scope mounts so I even do a bit of open sight iron work. I truly love shooting with iron sights. Plus, I won't be a sucker when @#$$% hits the fan with my rifle being dropped, knocked over or whatever and out steps that 62 inch Kudu or 46 inch Sable.