I'm rural, and carry all the time. If I have my pants on, there is either a Taurus 380 in my pocket or a 22 revolver on my belt. I've used the 22 to shoot squirrels, possums, groundhogs, and coons. Sometimes, in lieu of the 380, I may pack a 38 snubby. There is a 44 Special revolver in easy reach from my bed, in case something goes bump in the middle of the night. If I leave the place, I usually have the 380 on me, and a Glock 19 in the vehicle, or on occasion a Sig 40 caliber. In my view, a handgun is purely a defensive weapon. If I get serious about having to shoot something, I'll use either a rifle or shotgun, depending on the situation. Now, having said all that, if I found myself in a situation where the threat level was greater than normal, I'd modify my selection of what I carried on me. For example, recently someone that the police had been chasing, abandoned their stolen vehicle near me, and I found their footprints in a muddy field on my farm. For the next few days, I carried the Glock and an extra clip, just in case. There was also an AR close by as well, just in case.