Steel is considerably faster than lead. It slows down soon also because of less density. I was on the bandwagon when it first came out and in some areas it was the law. So I used different loads and found steel to be effective only in a larger size BB. I was a #4 Lead fan for ducks and a #2 Lead fan for geese, but I found the best steel BB's for ducks was #BB and for Geese BBB. I have tried a lot of the newer shot sizes, but lead is my favorite and steel is second. The cost of some of the new shot turned me off when I could buy a Box of 25 lead or steel for the same price as a box of 10 Hevi-Shot. As far as lethality goes, that is a different subject altogether. Now you are into Gauge, Choke, 2-3/4", 3", 3-1/2" and most of all what kind of a hunter are you. Do you skybust Geese? Do you Arkansas Ducks in your decoys? Do you field hunt over a pointing dog or a flushing dog or no dog. All these factors add up to "Lethality"
Now I hope you will get more info from those who are more knowledgeable about Tungsten and Hevi-shot or any of the newer products. I will stick to lead where legal and steel where it's required.

Better to be over the hill than under it.