Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
There should be no reason for a collision to occur, short of mechanical failure. But with all due respect, for all the arm chair quarterbacks here that have never driven a 550 foot long 8,000 ton ship in a constrained water way, surrounded by unpredictable mariners in the dark of the night, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I do. Edited to add, I want to know the backgrounds of the entire Bridge Team on that freighter.....

All, I'm saying, is that unless a person were present on the bridge of that ship, experiencing the situation developing in real time, there's no way to know for sure that this happening is absurd. Earlier in the thread, I shared my own personal story of a very scary close call at sea, that I never would have guessed would happen. If the bridge team had waited 30 seconds instead of following my orders immediately, I'm convinced we would have been in a collision. I've seen many case studies were the absence of one person's action would have resulted in disaster. I'm not excusing anything and I still believe that there should be no reason for collision other than equipment failure or some malicious action. I'm just saying that this kind of thing is much more possible than some here may believe.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE