Originally Posted by Zengela
Sorry to disagree with some of the boys, trying for Thor's hammer on a elephant, bullying up on heavy bullets ain't gonna get the job done. At this point in horsepower you have to increase frontal diameter. I have been there, done that. A 458 Win with a 400 gr solid humming along is gonna hit HARD! Now not as hard as a 600 gr, but all this is semantics. You wanna crush a jumbo?, well DIAMETER in conjunction with weight of a premium bullet is what gets it done. I've have seen 458 mag vs Lott vs 460 Weatherby and they were so damn close(except on the shooters shoulder) to not make much of a difference. I got myself a Searcy 500 nitro DB because I wanted a true dinosaur crusher that wasn't gonna crush my shoulder. And honestly, the 500 with slower velocity and weaker Foot pounds I feel was a better ele gun.yeah I want a 460 Weatherby. Shoot rabbits or boulders. I would never even want to shoot the 416 Weatherby. A nightmare. Heard the 378 is a beast as well.
A .416 Wby can be loaded to equal the .416 Rigby,since the Wby is a Rigby case with a belt and different shoulder.

Will shoot a .378 Wby..... once or maybe twice. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken