Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Regarding magazine capacity..............
2 things, firstly, you can purchase the extended magazine from Weatherby as used on the DGR rifle. I put one on my .460 and is is a simple floor plate change and ups the capacity to 4 rounds total.

Secondly, the .460 is powerful beyond what can be stated in words, so it hard to convey to a reader. The .460 absolutely numbs big animals cold and there is no capability of reaction (talking bovines here) or drops them cold. If you can recall the greatest hangover you ever had, with gut wrenching stomach pain and a migraine to end all migraines, so that when you get out of bed and instinctively bend over, totally incapable of a reactive thought.............that is the reaction you get when the .460 hits home.

If there is a third aspect, it would be the once in a life time incident where any animal on earth "needs" all of the 16 tons of energy from a single rifle without reloading.

Sorry, I just can't go with those 16 tons of energy. Wasted. Mostly on the shoulder. The rest?, on ego? Back in the 90's when I started with the whole buff/ele hunting saga,I was enamored with the Lott. THATS what a cool Zim PH had. In a BRNO or such. They were old school and some were leary of the Win mag still. My old Buddy said the 458 win mag was good for plains game!. This was when very few 416 were used(pro or client), doubles were still a only very,very rich option-pre Searcy, Kreigoff etc...I did a good bit of cheap hunting on farms/locals permits. Not the big dollar bona fide safari operations gig. Saw a few jumbo and quite a few buff taken with 458 Win mag and Lott. This was when they still were liking A-SQUARE factory loads(NOT!!! Lion loads). Saw a no BS Texas heart shot on a Gwai Zim area jumbo bull with a 460 Weatherby factory load I believe, and it was stuck in his head. That's gotta be about 12 feet or so of penetration on an angling shot. I took my last ele with a 500 NE 570gr Woodleigh Kynoch factory load and it performed better than any 460 I can figure. With less fps and foot pounds of energy. My old friend Tony Sanchez Arino turned me on to the 500. He was the last of the true elephant hunters. Never a Weatherby guy. We talked about the "threshold" of power that is needed for elephant. We are both tall big guys and can take a bit of a thumping(I actually like recoil, up to a point). He can take way more than me. I max out at 500 NE levels. Can't do 577 or the different 500 bolt guns. He stated, and I believe him, that those Weatherby big boomers are not doing it properly. Now, I am a lefty and love the Mark five action. Would love a 460. Would hand load it to a tad under Lott specs. A peep sight and a refinished deep satin oil finish cause those Mark 5 are just too glossy for my tastes, and I now wanna go hunt elephant again!! Thanks guys. I'm eyeing a rifle on GB that I want and now I want to get bit by tseste flies and hunt jumbo again.