Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by rost495
RE the bolt, I would not own a rifle that abused me if all it took was a bit of removal and some blueing. They are not works of are, to me anyway, they are tools. Make them work for you not against you.

Agree, but understand Elk's dilemma. Carving up that fancy Wby bolt knob may not be a smart move from a value point of view.

That is an expensive rifle, worth more than Elk's trigger finger.... cry

Just kidding... grin

DF

True,the Wby is worth more than my finger. wink

As far as removing a bit on the bolt,umm no. I can and do load this rifle to were it does not hit my finger. As mentioned above 2300 fps or lower (500 grain bullet) the bolt knob does not hit my finger.

Keep in mind that a 500 grain bullet going 2300 fps,is duplicating the .458 Lott but with lower pressures. (sic):

True, but it's burning almost 20 grs more powder to do so and needless to say that extra powder is adding a significant amount of recoil because those ~20 grs of hot gas are leaving the barrel at ~4000 fps.

Load the gun how you shoot it best, 500 gr @ 2100 fps will take any critter alive, and there is no benefit in beating yourself up.

I also agree in modifying the bolt so that it doesn't draw blood. I won't abide a gun that will hurt me and will do what it takes to make the gun functional value be damned. Big bore bolts should have no sweep back or dogleg and should be smooth. Checkering has it's place, but the bolt knob on a 460 W is assuredly not the place!