Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That's right. Vikings grazed sheep there, because it was covered in green grass. Can't do that today, because the earth's climate is too cold now.
You guys look pretty silly falling for that line.

The "green Greenland" story is a recent invention.
Not according to Smithsonian.com

"Accordingly, the Vikings were not just dumb, they also had dumb luck: They discovered Greenland during a time known as the Medieval Warm Period, which lasted from about 900 to 1300. Sea ice decreased during those centuries, so sailing from Scandinavia to Greenland became less hazardous. Longer growing seasons made it feasible to graze cattle, sheep and goats in the meadows along sheltered fjords on Greenland’s southwest coast."

Let's be clear. I keep reading claims on this forum that imply Greenland was named that because it was mostly green during that time. That is the "green Greenland" story that I am referring to. Perhaps that is not what people mean, but that is how it comes across and is repeated. There is a big difference in my mind between "green Greenland" and "feasible to graze cattle, sheep and goats in the meadows along sheltered fjords on Greenland’s southwest coast". This is a point that gets our side of the debate into trouble.

edit: And as I said - the "deliberate misnomer" has been accepted history, and was so long before anybody on the other side of the climate debate ever thought of it.

Last edited by FreeMe; 07/05/17.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.