Elk Slayer,

If you bought the rifle at that price- you did good.

It looks like a sligjtly used ,unaltered gun in a great ( maybe the best) caliber. You paid the cost of a current NIB Portugese made m70 FTW and in terms of history and long term value- got a LOT more rifle.

I just bought a '62 vintage m70 almost identical to that one a few months ago for the same price. Mine is a few hundred guns apart from that one in terms of serial number had a bit more metal finish but the orgional owner (who was from California) mounted an early Jap "Mayflower" Scope in Buehler mounts and installed a period Mershon ventlated pad to his 14"+ length if pull. The gun looked like it spent most of its life in a closet:)

It has now been liberated and will be used this season to terrorize bull Elk in the heavily timbered canyons of Colorado.

Right now, I have a mint Weaver K4 60B on the gun in Weaver rings( VERY 1962! ) but within 30 days, it will have a Leupold VX3 in DD mounts being installed along with a thin solid old English pad to my LOP.

Got a box of 180g Nosler Partitions to use for working up a good Elk load. So far, it puts 3 shots of cheap Federal blue box 180g Soft points into 1.5" at 100 yards on demand.

Actually, it would be pretty darned effective on Elk as it is without any further tweeks.. Such are pre 64 Midel 70s- they simply work..

Last edited by jk16; 07/08/17.