Originally Posted by battue
Much as I like Model 70's, they never had or will have the historical significance of a Peacemaker. The Colt became a symbol of American history. The 70 never rose above being a good rifle.

Not to argue, but worthy of some discussion.

How did the Peacemaker become a symbol of American history, and how historically significant was it really? I cannot prove it, but I suspect the west was won by an assortment of long guns more than by handguns. Militarily, I believe one could say the same about long guns vs. handguns. I take no pleasure in saying this, but I suspect Hollywood and television had more to do with the popularity of the Peacemaker than anything. Not that many people know who Elmer Keith was, let alone R.F. Sedgley. Bill Ruger undoubtedly tapped into an unrecognized market, one that many had considered almost dead. But I don't know how much of Ruger's apparent genius was based on true historical significance as opposed to "the Westerns."

The Model 70 was not terribly significant militarily, but it seems to me it is more than just "a good rifle." Among bolt action hunting rifles, there is the Mauser, the Model 70, and everything else. And the best of "everything else" borrows much from the Mauser and the M70.

I'm not saying the M70 will ever have the popularity of the Peacemaker. But I honestly wonder about true historical significance. And like any great gun, I wonder how soft the market on the M70 can get.

Geez, the way movies are going, the frickin' Glock will be collectible! Lord help us!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"