I made a pilgrimage to Fin Feather Fur up in Ashland, OH last month. Unlike the gun stores down around Cincy, they seemed a bit more responsive to the change. What I saw were a large section of their rack filled with Henry lever actions in 45-70. I suppose that is one of the few really good alternatives in a repeating firearm.

I just find it odd that when you look at the new rule there are not a whole lot of current production rifles and chamberings that come to mind, and next to nothing from the normal big names. You'd think by now one of the mfgs with some clout would have brought out "The Buckeye Series" or some such.

I don't want to throw mud at the 357 Maximum, but I'm thinking more of a good thing might be in order. Adding another 0.1" to the round, make it rimless and call it the 35 Buckeye. Another easy one might be a stout .410-ish round in a rifled barrel and call it the .400 Buckeye. There are a bunch of actions that I'd be happy with. If I had to close my eyes and envision what I'd want in my hands on the Ohio Opener, it would probably be:

1) A Ruger All-Weather Hawkeye
2) A Remington 7600
3) A Browning BLR

I also don't want to throw mud at all the current offerings out there. My point is to expand the options.

In regards to the 44 Mag: Look, I only own 1 pistol in 44 Mag. That does not make me much of an expert. I have fought with the idea of a 44 Mag deer rifle for more than a decade. What keeps me from embracing it is the 30-30. I own a 30-30. I've hunted with it. I've taken deer with it. I'm not all that impressed. The last thing I want is something that's "just like a 30-30 out to 80 yards."

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer