Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by shotgunner
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

When will American hunters learn that more is less?

More isn't less when you are trying to get trajectory flat enough for 200 yd shots out of a straight walled case that falls within ODNR regulations. I agree that most shots are at < than 100 yds but I hate to pass up 200 yd shots at nice bucks that are out around 200 yds in the crop field edges & I have passed up several when using a rifled bbl shotgun or muzzle loader w/sabots.

I don't find the recoil of the 45-70, 444 Marlin, 405 Winchester class rifles any more objectionable than a 12 ga shotgun w/ slugs or sabots.

Well, I'm at the point in my life when I don't give a rat's patoot if I have to pass on a shot beyond my effective/comfortable max distance, even if said distance is only a "measly" 100 yards away. Happens to me every year at least once and invariably I walk out of the field whistling a happy tune. It ain't just about the killing anymore for me.

As for recoil of those heavies being no worse than a 12 gauge with slugs, well, I rest my case. Who in their right mind has fun spending multiple range sessions firing multiple boxes of slugs to gain a modicum of skill with the gun, and whom of those folks can look me in the eye and honestly swear he hasn't developed a flinch to one degree or another, bruised the dickens out his shoulder, and/or contributed mightily toward eventual arthritis/nerve damage? Those who can may be tough SOB's, but they're still foolish IMO.

gnoahhh,

You sound like a man that knows his limitations & I can respect that.

For the rest of us who hunt Ohio we thankfully now have a few more options that let us take advantage of equipment selection & shooting ability & I don't think that it is foolish to be prepared for the longest shot you are comfortable in taking with the expectation of a clean kill.

For me, the ODNR rule change moved my limit from 150 yds to 200 yds. & depending on where & how you hunt, that may or may not be a big deal.