Originally Posted by Armednfree
I try and not follow a religion. Religions are mostly a man thing. I try and follow Christ in and covenant of Grace given. This is why everything, and I mean every single thing, any man says, preacher or otherwise, is subject to review under the scriptures. You will find that doctrines not directly stated in scripture are mostly inferred by man to his own end.

But then again I am a literalist who reads scripture with literary integrity. I reject versification as it allows people to sew together what God did not intend. A verse is a reference point, nothing more. No verse stands on it's own. Start at that verse for reference then broaden out to find the beginning to the end of the subject matter.

I take into account who the audience was and what the culture was. For example, every thing Jesus said, except to the Sumerian woman at the well, was to Jews living under the law that had not been fulfilled yet. He taught the Jews the spirit of the law where before they had held only to the text. The Jews held to an external law, Jesus showed it was meant to become internal. Then he made it internal with the covenant of Grace.

I do not believe the books of Jesus's ministry, Matthew, Mark Luke and John, are truly the New Testament but rather the conclusion of the Old Testament, the fulfillment of prophecy. The New Testament really doesn't start until the book of Acts. The new covenant not given until the day of Pentecost and the coming of the Holy spirit.

I like that!