SIL #3 has a ranch that straddles the TX-OK line. To Texans, the Okies have some strange laws re guns and hunting. On most of the ranch, he has a sendero dozed and mowed so hunters know where is where. Some is a bit rugged for that. I don't hunt the OK side and worry about the loaded gun when I feed or check water for him.

Texas has a lot of game, both native and exotic. Unless you are well connected with a few farmers/ranchers, expect to pay. Bummer is the expense. Advantage is that most like to lease their land out to a hunter or group of hunters. That way you should know who is there and where they are. Most of the rest sell hunts, usually guided. Day hunter leasing is a pain for the owner/operator. Be prepared to pay for play. Our public hunting exists, but not much.

I make no bones about it, it gets hot. About 3-4 years ago, we dropped granddaughter off at a Campfire Girls camp. No refrigerated air, evaporative cooler in the dining hall, big swimming pool and lots of trees. She was there Sunday afternoon to mid day Saturday. Average high temperature that week was 108*. Wife worried herself silly. I assured her that she was in the care of pros and everything would work. When we picked her up to carry her to her parents home, her first question was if she could go again the next week? That week changed things. Cabins and a new dining hall are now equipped with AC.

Daughter and #1 SIL leave tomorrow morning for Crested Bute, CO for a month of cool and fishing. They each have small businesses and through good assistants and modern communications are able to keep cool and keep an eye on things. Wife and I used to go up and fish with them for a week, but unfortunately, I can no longer take the elevation. I may have to find a retreat at a lower elevation. I seem fine up to about 6500'. I don't really need a boat and guide to have fun, just access.

Good luck with your search. I would be looking in the NW but become a snowbird for the winter. We do have some cold spells, but they typically are not long lasting. I once killed a moving rattlesnake in a dry west Texas town on Christmas Day.

Last edited by jt402; 07/20/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero