Heck, we think we can taste a difference between Kasilof and Kenai reds, and they are only a few miles apart. There is a definite difference in average size.

I haven't eaten a Copper red in about 40 years, but they are definitely in the top 2.

Handling has much to do with it. Fish that die in the gill net are not nearly as good as those that are alive-bonked (gillnet, dip net, rod-caught), and gill ripped to bleed out. I like dip-netted fish the best - no long struggle involved. Those rod fisherman that put live salmon on a stringer to rest for awhile may have something.

Most commercially caught fish, in addition to being deaders in the net, are tossed in a hold or tote without bonking or bleeding (if still alive) and not delivered or even iced for hours, then may spend up to 48 hours in an iced tote at the processors before being butchered.

For this "additional handling" - you pay - what? $12/lb? I can't recall ever buying salmon in the store, but I've crewed on commercial boat and beach site both. I'll catch my own, thank you.

Of course - I have a choice. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.