Originally Posted by Zerk
Gabillion oil threads on places that discuss engines.

Most posts are irrelevent. Unless you have high miles or blow early, who cares.

Addng to the no one cares lists, I do use premum oil. I figure small % of cost, and I can afford it. If I coulnd't I would not.

How many people junk vehicles cause engines fai? I got one 200k and another 150, which are nothing these days. Engines typically are not the failure point, I suspect. You get tired of nickel and time. Rust is an issue in my area.

All this is true. Engine wear nowadays is rarely the reason to get rid of a car, everything else starts going before the engine. I'm a high mileage driver too, I drive 250 miles to work one way and keep a car specifically for that purpose, the last two have been toyota camrys and the one before it a honda civic. I traded the civic to a guy in return for some work around my place when it had 275,000 miles on it and traded in the previous camry on a new one when it had 299,700 miles. Both the civic and the camry were running fine but little things were starting to break and I wasn't keen on relying upon a 300,000 mile plus vehicle as my primary work transportation. Both those vehicles got 5000 miles oil changes with dino oil and never had an oil related problem. The newest camry I'm driving now came with synthetic and recommended 10,000 mile change intervals so that's what it gets, mobil 1 at 10,000 miles. I fully expect it to go fine to 300,000 miles when I'll probably trade it on a new one.

All these oil threads are fun, but really just look in the manufacturer's book and change it at the recommend interval with quality oil in the grade/type they recommend and you'll be fine. Skip all the wonder products promising to do everything including bake you a cake like Amsoil and K&N filters. General rule is if it comes with a sticker for your back window it's targeted at the boy racer crowd and best avoided.