Having been a nursing administrator in the past, and having worked ER for 10 year. now as a Nurse Practitioner. I can tell you it is not uncommon for LEO to storm in and be much the same as the officer in question. They believe hippa and emtala does not apply to them. Unfortunately it does. . Of course known many very wonderful LEO who were much different also. I typically am very pro law enforcement. Not today though.

The nurse was in no way in the wrong. The hospital policy was absolutely correct and in accordance with updated laws. That's already been determined hasn't it? The policy should have references and case numbers to support itself. Ours do. The officer did not have any legal right or obligation to obtain this innocent mans blood, nor does he have the legal power given to him to over ride this mans constitutional rights. I believe what the officer did was a complete abuse of his power, and is actually called battery when he attacked her out of anger. That wasn't an arrest it was retaliation. They were just hoping he would pop positive for something cause otherwise they are getting sued and will have to pay for the whole hospitalization and all care related to it in the future. Think 7 digits cost.

Cop should be fired and face criminal charges.

As a nurse your first duty is to be a advocate for you patient and to protect them from harm. Anybody complaining about her should hope they don't end up in the same situation with a weaker nurse.