Love duck hunting. A bit different here in Canada though. Lots of areas to hunt, either wetlands or field shoots. No access fees or leases to deal with, just a chat with the farmer and you are usually golden, just be respectful.

No denying the cost of gear anywhere but where I hunt in Alberta, all I need are a couple dozen decoys, layout blind and waders. Occ. I need my canoe but I would own one regardless of my waterfowling cause it great to fly fish from. Chasing Snows is a bit more intense/costly but it is what it is. Tons of fun.

I hate to say it but, the only times I have run into ignorant, get the "F" outta my types were a few guys with California plates on the truck. Were trespassing as well but thought they knew better than I did. Sucked to be them when the landowner arrived as we discussed access. I was hunting with the owner LOL.
Had one other run in with a group from the States, black hoodie types with the big truck/trailer full of decoys and all decked out with decals. Told me I shooting up "their roost" on public land. Ordered me off the property, that didn;t happen. Seemed to me they were guiding but couldn't be sure. Roost was a few miles away on the Bow River, had they scouted they would have known this.

Most folks are great though. Out for a good time, love the action, love the habitat types. I don't see numbers dropping here.