Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by Gibby
I now carry it in a shoulder holster. Never gets in the way.

PS: There are some very high quality diaphragm ear plugs if your hunting and worrying about your ears. Most are in the industrial supply market.

Gibby,

What shoulder holster are You using?

And specifically what ear plugs are You referring to?

Thanks,

Jerry

Also,

I don't know how Johnny Rowland set his 45 Supers up or how many rounds until He beat them to death, but I have probably a thousand plus through mine to no ill effect. Either have Jack Huntington set it up to increase the time it is locked up or do as Yondering suggests and use a flat bottomed firing pin stop and a 25# mainspring to get there. I don't doubt that only using a very heavy recoil spring would batter them badly.

Galco Miami Classic holster. I like the four point pivot in the back. It moves with you. Good for all 1911's and Browning HI Power fits good in it also. Including the magazines. Good for field and dress up.

The earplugs. I just looked. The round plastic container's printing has worn off, so I do not know what brand. I do know I bought them from WW Grainger. When I get time, I will try to identify.

The 1911 is built to take a recoil slam of the slide and frame. Take one apart and look. The return trip of the slide is only stopped by the slide release and the small barrel foot. In addition, the frame around the hole for the slide release is relatively weak (thin). JB did not design the 1911 to be abused by a overly strong recoil spring.

That area was the problem with the 1980's version of Colt's first Delta Elite model. Using just a 23# recoil spring.

There are tricks you can do to handle the recoil impulse of the slide, but not much you can do to handle the increased slide return force using very heavy recoil spring.

As far as Glocks, I have no clue.

.....and don't care.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.