Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've been wondering about the minutia of the Super vs. the Rowland too, and have been thinking of getting into a Super. A 45 cal 250 @ 1000 seems pretty useful for woods use.

You can get the 45 close to that with a good powder choice and a FFPS, #18 recoil spring, without going over +p pressure in standard brass. Even at 850fps at standard pressure range the 250 gr has good performance and excellent penetration. With a wide flat profile bullet, I don't know that more velocity adds much impact on the target. Either way it's a lot of punch from a standard ACP.

I run the Wilson flat wire 20# recoil spring in my 45 Supers. The 45 Super with a 230 grain JHP at 1100+ FPS is a hard hitting combo. The 185 at 1300+ is also a very effective load. And the 255 grain hard cast at 1070 FPS is also a very useful combo. The added speed definitely increases effectiveness.

The 45 is about 100 FPS faster than a good +P with equal weight bullets. If one wants more then the Rowland offers more velocity.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first