Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I've been wondering about the minutia of the Super vs. the Rowland too, and have been thinking of getting into a Super. A 45 cal 250 @ 1000 seems pretty useful for woods use.

You can get the 45 close to that with a good powder choice and a FFPS, #18 recoil spring, without going over +p pressure in standard brass. Even at 850fps at standard pressure range the 250 gr has good performance and excellent penetration. With a wide flat profile bullet, I don't know that more velocity adds much impact on the target. Either way it's a lot of punch from a standard ACP.

I run the Wilson flat wire 20# recoil spring in my 45 Supers. The 45 Super with a 230 grain JHP at 1100+ FPS is a hard hitting combo. The 185 at 1300+ is also a very effective load. And the 255 grain hard cast at 1070 FPS is also a very useful combo. The added speed definitely increases effectiveness.

The 45 is about 100 FPS faster than a good +P with equal weight bullets. If one wants more then the Rowland offers more velocity.

I have the Lee RNFP mold that casts 263 with my preferred alloy. I shoot them out of an 1860 Henry replica at about 1000. I'd love to do the same out of an auto. It was this bullet, at that speed, that got me digging into options to step up the 45 ACP. I have a few thousand policed brass, but have never owned an arm for them.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.