John,

Each port interprets the regulations regarding the transiting of class 1 explosives through their port. Auckland in my experience is more "éxplosives aware" than others I know, even to the point of commissioning a study some time back to see what would happen if 18 tons worth of it went off. (Not good) This is because, unlike many other ports, the Auckland container terminals are not in an industrial area remote from the city, but is right in the heart of the CBD. In addition, vehicles that leave the port with hazardous goods must drive or rail right through the most built up and populous areas.

Auckland will indeed berth their vessels depending on whether they are carrying containers of class 1 explosives and will not want more than one ship alongside at one time. (They also used to work with the rule that explosives containers transiting used to have to come off and be taken to a remote part of the terminal, although I am not sure if they still do this every time.)

While this sounds like I am validating what you have been told, I must say that in reality this is not the issue it might sound like. Berthing arrangements for vessels are worked out in advance to avoid clashes like this - they are in the business of working ships after all - not delaying them. Also, this is not recent, Auckland have been handling this cargo this way for at least twenty years.

What you have been told is loosely based on truth concerning the way Port of Auckland handles their class 1 containers. Extrapolating, It is possible that Thales or ADI may not have shipped as many containers of product as they wanted to because of this.

Bear in mind, in the seafreight world it is standard practice for exporters to blame ports for shipment delays of all kinds, particularly ones in other countries. Also, not every ship from Australia to the US must go through Auckland, probably not even most of them.

Let me put it another way: No offense to your friend intended, but If Auckland Port was indeed a bottleneck greatly exacerbating the shortage of sporting powders in the USA, I am quite sure I could find a solution to that situation given the benefit only of a comfortable chair, the opportunity to take up smoking once more, and about 15 seconds worth of thought.

(Ironically enough, I went and bought some AR2209 only the day before.)

James

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 09/15/17.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain