Originally Posted by smokepole
I use white since I can see best with it and I don't want to trip over anything in the dark. Since you said "hiking" and not "walking a short distance to your deer stand" I avoid hiking in the dark where I think I might bump animals. If I'm hiking in the dark I'm covering ground to get from one place to another and the noise is most likely what will spook the animals, not the light. I use the red option (if my headlamp has it) for finding stuff in the dark in camp when I don't want to ruin my night vision.

I'm here ^^^^^ I use the brightest light I can find. Really like the Black Diamond Icon. I don't go in 'at daylight'. I'm where I want to be significantly before daylight whether it be deer stand or elk hunting. I've tripped/fallen way too many times trying to be stealth. Over the years I've noticed animals move a short distance away when approached in the dark. I've walked to within 20 feet of deer in heavily hunted PA woods - in the dark. At daylight or close to it - gone. I've done the same thing with elk and bears - even ran into a mountain lion one night on the way out. I guarantee you'll want a bright light when a kitty is playing games. At the end of the day, I'm not walking off a cliff, falling into a creek, walking into barbed wire, or any other such hazard trying to be stealthy.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.