Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Copperheads and rattlesnakes like tedthorn posted keep me using a white light when temps are up...which can be upper 70's in the coldest months (same month may be in single digits at times but both of those are extremes). Lots of places where I climb in the ground will be level with my face/chest right in front of me and I'll be using my hands a lot. I'm not scared of snakes but I am scared of being bitten by one. A bright white light helps me see what's there before I put my foot, hand, or walking stick down. Bow season is open now and it's in the 80's so snakes are out. Perhaps green or red spook less game but I'd assume if they can see one they can likely see the other. There are cooler nights with a moon that I can walk on the roughest mountain side without a light...and there are nights so dark I can't see my hand in front of my face. Some of the ledges, bluffs, rises between flats, and rock strewn areas on the mountain sides, along with limbs, briars, etc require a light on anything but the brightest of nights. Walking down a fairly open trail or the edge of a field is different than a wooded mountain side. Light or no light, if I'm going to be hunting out of a stand or from a set spot, I like to be there 1/2 hour before legal shooting light....but that ain't always the case. shocked

We also use a white for walking but we usually get in well before shooting light, which gives our eyes time to adjust.

Got bitten by a rattler a few years back but that was in daylight, backtracking a path we had taken just a few minutes prior, and, fortunately, not far from the truck. Dark would not have helped matters at all. In any case, it is not recommended.

We also hunt where the DPW nee CPW say if you've been there three days you've been stalked by kitty at least once. We've only seen one but can't help wonder how many times we've been watched.

Have taken several falls on steep talus/snow/ice/mud slopes, again in broad daylight and again darkness would only have made things worse - especially when the truck was not close.

Once we get where we are going we switch to red or green.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.