Hiking in before daylight and hiking out after dark are standard if you hunt an ideal spot at first and last light. My exception is that once in awhile I bivvy out a few steps from a good spot, maybe just over a ridge crest.

As to light, KC nailed it. Hike without any artificial light if possible. I grew up in desert and we would hike all night sometimes without any flashlight. However, in our rain forest timber with overcast, often I can't see well enough to walk without a light. Red light for heading in before daylight, for two reasons already stated: preserve my low light vision in dim morning light, and avoid spooking game.

A cougar kept me company one morning on a pre-dawn hike on the Olympic Peninsula and I tried calling it. It seemed to have no fear at all of my puny red light but it would retreat the instant I turned on a white light that was brighter. Whether they see it or not animals usually pay little attention to red light but they usually avoid white light.

When hiking with a headlamp, hold it low in your hand and you will stumble less than if you wear it on your head. The low angle shows bumps and roots by their shadow that you do not see if the source of the light is near your eyes.