Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have the 3-15 Toric w/plex reticle. I also have a VX6 in 2-12x42 that has optics (IMO) better than the SwaroA ( Z3) and Conquest, on par with the Z5. Side by side, I honestly see better optics in the Toric than I do in the VX6, but not earthshakingly better.

I am curious to hear the details as well since individual needs and criteria vary so much -- as do testing parameters. And I love hearing actual individual experience and results over anything else in regards to optics. Your usage in the rugged southwest will certainly merit attention.

For most, and in my limited exposure to and time with the VX-6 2-12x42 as well, it falls slightly short of the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 in terms of transmission/apparent image brightness and its ability to resolve fine detail under the poorest of lighting conditions. There seems to be little difference to discern between them during usage in strong daylight. (I believe a friend of yours & his son concluded the same when you sent him your scope.) Also, the Z5 does not have any different glass or coatings than the Z3. Only the internals differ. Application of the PA, however, can certainly seem to give the Z5 (or any other similar scope) a perceived edge in low light when testing beyond the range of the fixed setting of a scope like the Z3. I wish manufacturers would use 200 instead of 100 yards for fixed parallax models or at least offer it as an standard option. The effect -- increased definition as the target seems to "fade" in low light as the range increases -- may be negligible in decent daylight but certainly becomes more apparent once the sun dips below the horizon.

I am interested in the 3-15x Toric scope and will anxiously await your details..I have the scope fund blues at the moment after recently snatching up a couple great deals on new glass that I did not need, so it may be a good while before I get my hands on one. But I certainly learned something somewhat surprising with those recent purchases: the current-production Schmidt Bender Klassik 2.5-10x56 actually equals my Victory HT 3-12x56 -- and the 2.5-13x56 Stratos slightly edges it out. While I still prefer the smaller dot of the #60 reticle in the Zeiss compared to the reticles in the Klassik & Stratos, there is MUCH to like about the newer SBs (not that the older ones were bad ha ha!). Schmidt & Bender is unique in that it constantly improves existing products lines and doesn't halt current production and rename the model. And the consumers are the direct beneficiaries.

On another note, my 3-12x54 Polar is currently back in Germany for debris that surfaced internally. It's frustrating to have something like that happen in alpha glass, but none of the manufacturers are immune from a mistake or two. Anyway, once it's back, one or possibly 2 of these need to go as I simply can't afford to keep all of these -- and certainly don't need that many nice scopes, either. Deciding which will stay and which will show up on the classifieds will be a tough decision.