Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I ran my night optics-chart test on a Toric 3-15x42. This involves looking at a chart of black-and-white lines at 25, lit by a 100-watt incandescent bulb (yeah, I still have a supply), also at 25 yards. All scopes are set on 6x, and the rating is the smallest line that can be seen.

Have been running this test for almost a decade now. The best ANY scopes have rated is 8, which is the 1/8" line on the chart. All the previous scopes rating an 8, however, cost over $1000. This indicates that Tract's strategy of selling directly through the Internet, rather than through the traditional wholesale/retail system, does indeed save the consumer money, since it bypasses several layers of mark-up. The price of this particular model is listed at $724 on Tract's website.

So John, are you saying the Toric is a 8 by your testing as well? Just curious, for clarity sake.

My Toric is the best I have in low light, but with a pile 'o kids I don't have a lot of money to justify high end scopes. It's noticeably better at low light than my FFII, and some what better than a Legend HD, the Burris Predator Quest (same as the E1 I believe), and the Viper PA (although I've only briefly compared it to these last 3 as I'm in "hunt" mode so these three haven't made it on the trips lately).