Originally Posted by smokepole

You may want to check on the legality. I'm personally familiar with a case where a hunter with a doe/fawn permit in Wyoming shot a young buck by mistake that looked just like yours, i.e., no black patch but a black slash.

He self-reported but the local game warden was not available and asked for a cell phone photo of the head, which he provided The game warden thanked him for self-reporting, but then said he had to issue paperwork that was described by the game warden as "allowing the hunter to legally possess the meat."

In other words, it was not a legal kill, according to the game warden.

Been out of touch for a few days but I have checked on the legality with the game warden for the area. Sent him the same photo as above and talked to him, providing more details than the photo shows, like description of size and hanging weight. He was confident it was a fawn, not a yearling (yearlings normally have horns as long as their ears according to him) but that it probably would have grown to be an exceptional buck had it lived. He also stated that all fawns (young of year) are legal with a doe/fawn tag, which is exactly how I read the regs as well. According to him, yearlings typically have at least a small but discernible cheek patch about the size of a nickel or quarter, which this one was missing.

He emphasized it was a legal kill in his opinion.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/16/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.