I never carried a knife when deer hunting. Sure I had my everyday benchmade. Dollarwise I would hate to loose it but otherwise no big deal. Where I hunted was easy access either a truck or atv could get within feet of anything we shot. Anyways all my serious critter cutting gear was kept in a metal ammo can in the truck. Some expensive knives as well as a couple sentimental knifes. Had everything to gut and butcher.

Whenever I used anything from the box it was washed and put back in immediately after use. If it could not be washed it was wrapped in paper towel and put in the box and washed as soon as I could. The only thing taken out of the truck when I got home before that box was my guns.

Well last halloween some lowlife pieces of chit broke into my house. Guess what they took.

Lost about four hundred bucks of replaceable stuff. But the two old buck knives that my grandfather used can never be replaced. Real stung as I never got to hunt with him. Was my only real hunting connection to him. Only good thing was for some reason I did not have my old mans sharp finger knife in the box. That is now in the safe.