I've been through this exercise. You can find an oddball cartridge that's theoretically superior to other oddball cartridges, but then you have to build a rifle for it. Once that rifle is in your hands, maybe you find out that it comes up 1-200 fps short no matter how many rabbits you pull out of the hat at the loading bench, and suddenly it's no better than any of several others. Or maybe you burn out the throat in load development and accuracy goes out the window. Or maybe someone discontinues the one component that it takes to make your specific rifle shoot the way you want.

Instead, I'd look long and hard for something you can buy locally, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, that doesn't devour barrel throats, and that doesn't detach your retinas in recoil. Kinda makes me think of the 270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, or 257 Weatherby Magnum...

Originally Posted by Tejano
Tough passing on a twelve pointer within your scope but the cross hairs just didn't settle in enough to be sure.

If you're not sure, then shouldn't you pass up the shot no matter which rifle or cartridge you choose?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.