I have owned a slew of "alpha" binoculars in the last several years to include:

Early 8.5x42 Swarovision
Zeiss Victory FL 10x42
Swarovski EL pre swarovision 8.5x42
Zeiss Victory HT 10x42
Zeiss Victory HT 8x42-still own
Swarovski 2015 Swarovision
Swarovski current model SLC HD 10x42-still own

I have tested the alpha's against many "almost alpha" designs that are on the market today.

The finest binocular I have seen optically overall so far is my 10x42 SLC HD. Its handling and focus mechanism as well as finish is not as nice as the Victory HT or Swarovision though so I am not saying it is the best all aspects considered. Just optically.

I bought the Victory HT 10x42 and Swarovision 10x42 trying to see if the SLC's sharpness could be bested but the SLC optically came out ahead. Its brighter than the Swarovision in low light and has a larger sweet spot and better contrast as well as sharpness over the Victory HT. The SLC also has a better depth of field over either and is easier to get perfect focus (has more leeway) than either.

The lack of sharp edges compared to the Swarovision bothers me not at all and I dislike the globe effect/rolling ball effect of the Swarovision when panning though I can see it as a possible advantage when grid searching a hill side mounted on a tripod (having the whole FOV in focus and sharp).

To the OP I say try the SLC before you buy the Swarovison.

As far a s the 8x verses 10x for a hunting role it is no contest. You will see far greater detail (espically in low light) with the 10x over the 8x.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 10/17/17.