I haven't killed much game with my 358 Winchester Savage 99, yet. I put four bullets into 2 black bears in Alberta this past spring and did not recover the slugs.

I used Double Tap ammo, which according to their website is loaded with 250 gr Speer Hot Cor bullets at about 2450 fps. I did not chrono this ammo out of my rifle, so I can only report the factory reported velocity. Both bears were shot through the shoulder and into the chest cavity with the first shot. Both bullets went through-and-through. The black was shot again after he turned to run, and I hit him high in the left shoulder above the shoulder blade, the bullet exiting the brisket. The color-phase was shot again after he turned to run, but this time he ran across my front so I belted him in the shoulder and again the bullet exited the off side of his chest. Both bears fell to the second shot, but I don't think they would have gone far based on the amount of blood from the first shots on each bear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The black black bear was over 400 pounds, so the performance of this cup-and-core bullet was pretty impressive to my mind. I would not hesitate to use this bullet on any other bear including griz.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars