I love coyote/ predator hunting, I spent a good part of my early life doing a lot of subsistance hunting, if there wasn't venison in the freezer we eat alot of hamberger, Raccoon, muskrats and beaver all went on the table. To me coyotes/preds are a fur check and I rarely hunt them unless they get skinned, far more challenging than big game hunting and you can do it for more of the year. In trapping you are trying to convince a coyote to put his foot down on a specific 2 sq. in. of a very large chunk of real estate, duck hunting you are trying to get the ducks to land/committ to a very small patch of water no more than 40 yards accross. Coyote calling is much the same your trying to put a coyote in a place where you can easily shoot him. If you have to settle for a very long shot on a coyote instead of having him in where you want him, something went wrong, much like getting backdoored or winded only this time you get to see him finding something wrong. You call them educated but to what, not the sound of the caller, they are already coming to that, there has to be something else that they find wrong or youget nervous that they won't come in the rest of the way and take the shot way before you need to..

Shooting one at 400+ yards is on the order of sky busting or extreme pass shooting on waterfowl occasionally you scratch one down where if you having them coming into the decoys with their feet down sometimes you can aproach 100%.

I personally think there should be a season on coyotes from Oct-Mart on PUBLIC land. To me you killing coyotes just to kill them when they have no value is a waste. To me coyotes are far more valuable than the one deer I could shoot, I understand that you feel that the indesciminant killing to better your odds of killing a deer or pheasant is important.

Private land is a whole different ball game, you do what you have to to protect your land, and when I get a call to help with a problem coyote I do it.

There are some very good coyote hunters that take pride in long range coyotes, There is also a legion of guys out there with a $99 Spitfire , 223 with a 4.5x14 with hashmarks that think a coyote a 400 yards is succesful calling stand.

As far as my partner missing he was a newbie only killing one coyote befor the trip. On the trip he called his first coyote with a mouth call, made his longest kill on anything, was able to take a pair out of a quad I called in, in all of 6 half days of calling we called about 30 coyotes we saw and killed 10. The coyotes wern't prime so I let a lot of them go just for him. I am actually quite proud of how he did. And this was all cold calling country I've never been in before.

Last edited by erich; 11/03/17.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders