Originally Posted by Mule Deer
powdr,

Since you just want to play with a 6.5 Creedmoor to see if you like it, I'd go with the Ruger American Predator. I've owned several Creedmoors, and due to my job played with a couple of others. The most accurate of the bunch has been the RAR Predator I have right now, and at $350 was also the cheapest. I threw together a handload with 140-grain Berger VLD's and the standard "accuracy" powder charge of 41.5 grains of H4350, and it's very first group at 100 yards had all 5 shots touching. The only modification I made afterward was to the trigger spring, so I could get the pull under 3 pounds, which took about 20 minutes. Have heard similar stories from others who bought 6.5 Creedmoor Predatots.

Now, of course others are going to advise you to buy something "classier," but you want to try a Creedmoor, not marry one.

+1 on the RAR Predator

My first three shot group that I ran through my RAR Predator went .278" using the 140gr Amax and 42.4 grains of H4350. Some folks on the 6.5 Creedmoor forum was using this load with success in their Predators.

It shoots the 130gr VLD's into 1/2" at 200yds.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman