I am getting my gear together for a week of deer hunting in the north east corner of the lower peninsular near Curran Michigan. This will be my 21st year at this particular camp. We lease about 300 acres of a larger 1800 acre private parcel. Hunting has always been good and I have shot my share of Big Bucks in this camp. My question to myself every year is what rifle or rifles to take.
My go to favorite is my 1955 99F in 300 Savage. It wears a Weaver 2.5X scope, it is light and fast handling and holds point of impact year after year and shoots a 1 inch group at 100 yards with
hand loads. I also have a 1938 99K in 300 Savage that I have never taken a deer with and is also a great shooter with the Lyman folding peep sight. All of my other savage rifles have scored deer
over the past years with the exception of a 1926 Model 20 in 250-3000 with a bolt peep sight. It is also a tack driver with hand loads. All my Savage rifles have iron sights except the 99F and
a very nice 110 WLE in 250-3000 that has Burris 3-9 Full field scope and is a clover leaf shooter with either factory or hand loads. It has taken many deer. So at age 70 I can still shoot irons, god gave me good eyes, but need help with a scope at twilight conditions. I have no issue with taking two rifles, or even three. My other Savage rifles are a 1925 99G in 303, and a 1917 1899H in 22Hi-Power. Both of those have Receiver mounted peep sights and shoot very well and have scored deer for me. I have until Monday to narrow down my choices. Good luck and Safe hunting to my
fellow Michigan Savage collectors who take their rifles into the field for the annual deer hunt. What are the rest of you taking into the woods this November?

300 Savage