Originally Posted by oldotter
Originally Posted by Sportsdad60
My opinion--Don't get pissed at me.:)

Scopes for game is cheating.

Iron sights (Buckhorn or Peep) is hunting/getting close enough for a good clean shot. I've never hunted game with a scope.

Scopes---For hunting humans or bench rest shooting/competition.

(Sportsdad gets soap box kicked out from under him as a crowd rushes the podium)

Nothing wrong with your train of thought....BUT.... I love the extra 15-20 minutes in the morning and late evening that optics bring to the table. Legal shooting time in Michigan is 1/2 hour before, 1/2 hour after sunset. If cloudy overcast conditions are in the equation, add to the 15 - 20 minutes. I have taken a couple deer that without the light gathering of the optics would not have been in the freezer. I most certainly love my peep sights, and feel as comfortable out to 100 yards or so as scoped but appreciate the extended viewing time at potentially the best times to spot the bigg ens.

This is exactly the conundrum I find myself in every year. I have every confidence in my ability to hit what I am aiming at with receiver sights as long as I have enough light to get through the peep to my aging eyes. But lets face it, the best time to shoot a big buck is at first light and at last light, when you can get the job done with a quality scope and your receiver sight is useless

That all being said, I am taking my RT with Redfield 70 this Saturday for Virginia opener.

Edit: Just want to be clear on one point. I've taken countless big game animals with scopes and never considered it cheating at all. Nobody that takes any animal legally and ethically is cheating. There are only good hunters and bad hunters, Somebody that only choose to hunt with open sights isn't any better or more skilled than a hunter that choose to hunt with a scope. Nuff said on that.

Last edited by 99guy; 11/16/17.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~