Good morning/afternoon,

You have an amazing website and huge resource of information. I have read a lot of threads on 6.5 bullet options and I am hoping for some people to chime in with some first hand experience.

I hunt the thick timber and smaller clear cuts in SE British Columbia...Mountainous and tough hunting. This season I picked up a 6.5x55 and sold my 300wm as I have quickly noticed that an shots at elk will likely be under 200yds, and most likely under 100yrd.

With Elk season over, I need to get a round ready for next year. From research it seems like these are good options:
- 160gr lapua naturalis
- 155gr lapua mega
- 140gr partition
- 130gr barnes ttsx

I have never reloaded but my hunting buddy will be helping me. I have fired of nosler accubonds, so I'll have norma brass to reload with.

I guess my biggest question is in regards to velocities and effective expansion with the above bullets.

My hope is to have any of the above bullets moving at ~2700 ft/s mv.
Based on those speeds, it would seem that the naturalis and ttsx will give me the ability to shoot through shoulders if required...?
Lapua mega seems to be well liked, and the Partition has a big following.

Also: we have a minimum 6pt rule up here so I'll be targeting big boys.

In short: what bullet should I be using to take down 6pt bull elk from within 200yds out from my tikka t3 6.5x55. Should I be focused on penetration? or rapid expansion and damage?

Thank you for any assistance you can give me!!

Last edited by Dapesche; 11/16/17.