I have a Tikka T-3 Hunter and it shoots everything I have tried thus far well. A friend gave me a ancient box of 140 grain Speer flat base spitzers and they shot great. That was my first handload for this rifle.

Next I tried140 grain match bullets shoot, which shot even better. 129 Hornadys shoot into one hole. Somewhere I have a box of 120 grain TSXs which I bought for a Remington Model Seven in 260 which I sold. I bet they shoot, too.

Regarding you "dilemma", I go along with the 140 grain crowd. The 6.5s made their reputation as reliable killers using long and heavy for diameter bullets. That starts around 140 grains. I also have 160 grain Hornadys and 155 grain Lapuas which I haven't tried yet.

A friend swears by the 160 grain Hornady in his Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 6.5x55. He likes the quick kills he has gotten with minimal meat damage and a good blood trail.

The Scandanavians have been killing moose (their elk) for 100 years with the 6.5x55 and they're happy with it. You should be too.

Let us know how it works out.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter