Thanks for all your replies.

This is my confusion. I hear the ttsx 130gr would be usable on a bull elk but I haven't seen to many actual accounts of this. Most cases are assumptions that it'll be fine based on experiences on smaller game.

I guess what I want is a bullet that gives me a few more options than just a broadside shot. A bullet that will penetrate, but not shatter and lead to wounding rather than a quick kill. And a bullet that does its job when the velocity is between 1800 to 2500ft/s when impacting the elk.

Sounds like the woodleigh is effective in that range but I have concerns about its structure on large game (based on what I've read). I have concerns that the barnes might not expand well enough at those velocities. The Partition sounds like it continues to be a good option, and the Lapua packs the extra weight that is of interest to me.

I guess I like the idea of the barnes due to increase velocity but I have expansion concerns. The 140gr partition has been effectively used for quite some time but I have wright concerns.... And I desire something like the lapua mega due to the heavier weight but I have concerns about construction or lack the 'forum research confirmation' that it will hold up against a elk ... it also does not have the greatest ballistics.

TOO MANY OPTIONS!!! smile

Thanks again for passing on your first hand experiences.