Sorry, you need to read more carefully and, frankly, CBC, is about the LAST source I would trust on ANY issue in Canada, especially any aspect of environmental management, social/cultural factual truth or correct English usage and grammar.

There WERE wolves back in the day, they WERE there since before my experience began and NOW are FAR more numerous. As to trappers, etc, my cousin has one of the largest lines in the area and his observations from these and his flying agree with my comments.

One very frequently sees bears, wolves, cats and so forth, ungulates included, using the networks of resource roads to travel as the terrain and understory is SO difficult and dense in the Kootenays, which is what I am discussing and the sign left is very obvious in winter or even summer.

I have no personal bush experience in the Yukon or AK and so do not comment on the situation there, and am ONLY commenting on what I have experienced where I was born, raised and worked for decades.

I might also ask just how much time you have spent in the Kootenays, as snow machines have been and are a concern there as they have been and still are used to harass animals and their noisy presence can move elk, for example, when doing so can cause stress to these animals at a very difficult time of year.

So, predators ARE a problem, but, there are different issues in the Kootenays to those in the Yukon, in certain respects.

I do not share your seeming problems with bios., but, certainly SOME are dorks and we have those here by the dozen....."Raincoast"?