Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by yukon254
If done right logging can enhance hunting, but the use of chemicals to keep the willows at bay are not good. Access is the real problem. Logging roads means more hunters and that puts more stress on big game. Very few hunters are aware of how stress effects big game. It can actually kill them.

yukon254;
Good evening to you sir, I trust all is well in your part of the world tonight.

I've not been up to the Yukon since the early '70's and mean to get up there to visit some friends who live in Whitehorse but somehow every year goes by and I've not yet made it, which means I can't speak for that part of western Canada.

Here in the south Okanagan however, we're seeing very much what you describe. Not only do the logging roads mean more hunters, but there's been a huge jump in the number of off road vehicles over the last 15 odd years. By that I mean we used to see folks hunting on quads before that, but now we're seeing motorcycles, quads and side by sides year round.

More people enjoying the outdoors is good on one hand, but for sure and certain it stresses the local wildlife and we've seen number plummet in areas which are heavily used by the off road riders.

Speaking broadly I'd say fires have been much more beneficial to wildlife than the logging, but the logging has of course created habitat and feed too. The old timers used to tell me there were no moose here in the late '50's until the larger logging blocks started and the hardwood regrowth gave them something to eat.

Anyway I'm not anti logging by any stretch, but we should be deactivating the roads much quicker than we are now and doing it in such a way that only D8 can go back up the road when they're done. A ripper behind said D8 should be able to do that I'd think - they do it in some places and it works.

Lastly the bio question is one deep and wide to be sure - some I've thought much more of than others that's for sure and certain. wink

All the best to you this winter sir.

Dwayne

Dwayne, our part of the world is a wee bit chilly tonight. -37 as I write this. Very little snow yet - only an inch here at home so I am stuck tending the fire until we get enough to use sleds on the trapline.

In regard to forest fires, my experience mirrors yours. They are much more beneficial than logging. Moose in particular love old burns. Luckily we have a lot of them in southeast Yukon. I own a fishing lodge, and a trapline in that part of the country and its a rare summer that we don't see some fire activity. Forestry won't fight them unless a building is threatened so we get a lot of new moose pasture each summer!