Road density is a relevant index to human disturbance at regional and landscape levels (Mladenoff et al. 1995, Boitani et al 1997). Studies in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ontario, and Minnesota have shown a strong relationshipo between road density and the absence of wolves. Wolves were generally not present where the density of roads exceeded 0.58 km/km2 (Thiel 1985, Jensen et al. 1986, Mech et al. 1988, Fuller 1989). Road density
was much lower in pack territories (0.23 km/km2 in 80% use area) than in random nonpack areas (0.74) or in the region overall (0.71) in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan, where road density was the strongest predictor of wolf habitat favorability out of five habitat characteristics and six indices of landscape complexity (Mladenoff et al. 1995). Few areas of use exceeded a road density of >0.45 km/km2 , in Minnesota road densities of the primary range, peripheral range, and disjunct range of wolves were all below 0.58 km/km2 (Mladenoff et al. 1995). High road densities may constitute a barrier to wolf dispersal (Jensen et al. 1986). Research in Wisconsin and Minnesota has demonstrated a negative relationship between high road densities and wolf populations (Thiel 1985; Mech et al. 1988). However, wolves may demonstrate less road avoidance during dispersal, where the natural prey base has been depleted, or where human densities are low (Frederick 1991).

Im not one to cite studies, because I've been involved in some and I know how the data can and is, often twisted....but since you brought up the telemetry study. Heres what I know. For many years I trapped up in the Logan mountains. There is an old mining road that runs for over 200 KM up through that country. It actually ran right through the middle of my trapline. In my first years up there, the road was closed during the winter, and only lightly used in the summer. In the winter months the wolves traveled that road all the time, but of course it wasn't any easier than it was anywhere else since the road wasn't plowed.

Then the mine reopened. The road was then plowed all winter. Lots of activity on and around the road. I still saw tracks on the road occasionally, but nothing like before. I was up in that country for years and I never once saw where wolves had killed anything near the road.....now that doesn't mean they didn't. Maybe I just didn't see it. But I do know the wolves didn't take advantage of that plowed road on a regular basis.They actually avoided it more than they did before. What they did do, like they always have, is use the high windblown ridges like highways. You have more wolves in Alberta because fewer are being taken out of the gene pool. Roads have little to do with it. My youngest daughter and her husband live in Alberta. Last winter they took 21 wolves. Most trappers won't do that anymore because they are a lot of work, and not worth much.