Im a retired logger here in Northwestern Ontario.

As regards roads and road density hereabouts.
There are 3 types of roads here in the bush, primary, secondary and tertiary. Tertiary roads are built to the lowest standards--there are there to get the wood out--nothing else. Culverts might be put in and a little gravel but once the wood is on the trucks no other maintenance. In this country these roads don't last very long--couple of years at most and if washed out not even that long. With the proper all-terrain vehicles and 4-wheelers you can use them for a few more years but none of them for very long.

In my area we had for the last 50 years a primary road that connected Hwy 11 to Hwy 17 and allowed me to drive a roughly 80 mile loop from my house. Off of that primary road we had 4 secondary roads that bisected that loop and literally hundreds of miles of tertiary roads. When they were logging intensively as soon as you lost one road you gained another thru logging operations. In the year 1995 I could not possibly drive down all those roads in a 3 month season.

Logging stopped when the mills closed--no more maintenance, no more access. Even the primary road not plowed which meant this year no more access due to snow from the 1st of Nov onward.

I haven't noticed wolves gaining any advantage over moose because of roads--might just be me but I never felt it mattered much. One thing I did notice was the wolf population on my trap line is directly tied to the number of beaver. Lots of beaver equals lots of wolves and at $20 a pelt beaver aint worth the effort to trap. I have noticed that moose tend to congregate around trapped out beaver workings but wolves tend to move on.

I have never felt that healthy moose had much to fear from wolves. Moose seem the get as much as they give. Now moose weakened by p.tineus or liver flukes or ticks might be another matter.