Originally Posted by szihn
More of a security blanket than anything else.

Elk don't try to kill humans as a rule and bears are not dangerous at all until they are close enough to touch you. So the power of the bigger rifles is for my comfort. At spitting distance I like the idea of a 270 grain bullet at rifle speed better than a 150 grain bullet at rifle speed.

The 270 is very good for hunting.
The 375H&H is better if you are hunted.

More power feels better in my hands when I am around a lot of bears. Which I am----------- nearly every season.

My old man dropped a charging Grizzly at bad breath range with a 130 grain something or other out of a .270 back in the 60's, but I have never ever had him tell me that he was glad he had that rifle and not the 300 H&H. A bigger hole, bore deeper, is always better when dealing with pissed off critters bent on destruction, as well as the less ideal shot angles at less than ideal ranges and in less than idea weather. I'm not saying that the .338 is my favorite, or the right choice for everybody, only that you are limiting yourself by choosing a lighter cartridge when you can handle one that can get the job done where others can't.

Last edited by ismith; 11/24/17.