I used to assume that bigger was better. I have since learned that bullets matter far more than headstamps, and that a 22 cal bullet through the vitals is going to kill just as quickly as a 45 cal bullet through the vitals, given some parameters regarding the bullets. In some instances, the 22 cal bullet is going to be MORE effective than a 45 cal bullet, even on elk-sized critters. Most of the elk I have seen killed or partaken in killing have dropped to sub-30's. Why is that? Because that's what we were carrying. I have also seen sub-30's fail on elk. an another shot be required, but it was not the fault of the caliber, but of the bullet. Putting an appropriately constructed bullet through the lungs of an elk is going to bring it down. More isn't necessarily better, because more isn't required. I can understand preferences and comfort factor and other subjective experiences being factors in one's personal decision, but attempts to justify those subjectives in objective terms are where these caliber arguments nearly always go astray.

As for bear, I'd likely want a bigger gun to use in a self-defense situation than I would carry for elk hunting. But I doubt a grizz would care if a .375" 270gr bullet broke his spine, or whether a 160 gr .284" bullet or 130 gr .277" bullet did. Either way, his attacking days have ended. And if the CNS is missed by either bullet, someone is likely getting maimed or killed.

So again, we are back to it: it's all about bullet construction and bullet placement, with headstamps and calibers not just taking the backseat, but stuck in the trailer being pulled behind. I'd not feel undergunned with pair of .284 cal rifles loaded with Partitions hunting for elk in bear country. Hell, the 7x57 has killed thousands of tons of elephant alone during its time in the field. And I do understand the desire to carry a big-bore lever gun into the timber, though it isn't required. I carried a 444 or 44 Mag in Marlins when pursuing elk this past season. It's fun, and they are very effective for close shots. Don't underestimate the Fun Factor!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.